The BCIT (Bus Characterization and Integrity Toolset) is a portable, rugged, network analyzer designed to test and analyze the cables and operation of a MIL-STD-1553 data bus network. The toolset includes a technician-oriented bus monitor, bus controller, and a Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR). All of these features are integrated within a Windows® software package. The BCIT is available in either a commercial semi-rugged case, or a rugged, field-deployable military case.
- End-to-end test of MIL-STD-1553 data networks using a single tool.
- Save time and money on diagnosis and repair by locating problems within the system faster and more precisely.
- Portable, rugged unit is ideal for flightline and field use.
- Easy to set-up and use Windows® based software.
- Quickly find cabling and wiring faults to within six inches.
- Data cataloging provides comparative historical analysis
- Bus monitor aids in capturing faults impacting bus protocol.
TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) Triggered mode aids in finding intermittent faults by capturing data only when an anomaly occurs.
This all-in-one, dynamic test instrument can troubleshoot cables, diagnose bus health, and monitor bus performance.
Bus characterization testing provides data bus health monitoring for protocol errors, loading, status exceptions, and terminal response for up to four dual redundant MIL-STD-1553 buses. This feature helps users capture faults that impact bus protocol; such as faulty stubs or terminals. The display is graphical and can be re-configured by the user.
Cable Fault Locator and Isolation provides electrical analysis of cable networks through a high performance Time Domain Reflectometer (TDR). The TDR allows technicians to analyze MIL-STD-1553 cabling to locate opens, shorts, and faulty shields and couplers within +/- 3 inches of the fault location for cables of up to 1,000 feet long.
The TDR feature provides a “Trigger on Anomaly” mode that helps find intermittent faults easily by capturing data only when an anomaly occurs, such as when a cable is “jiggled” or bent.
The BCIT interface is Windows-based, database-driven with software that runs on the integrated processor. It allows users to save and recall bus topology, test data, and historical reference data. There are no ports available on BCIT to interconnect with a network making it compliant to the strict IA environments found in military complexes today.
The historical database makes it easy to compare data over long periods of time and aids in prognostics as well as preventative maintenance.
- Windows® graphical interface for set-up and analysis
- Removable hard disk and memory write protection for classified environments.
Bus Monitor Features:
- Database allows for pre-configured displays.
- Color-coded dynamic displays provide intuitive fault indications.
- Simultaneous health monitoring of up to four fully loaded MIL-STD-1553 dual redundant buses (physical connection to eight bus stubs).
Bus Controller Features:
- Displays message traffic in real-time
- Errors are coded red with error details listed
- Data can be exported to CSV files and copy/paste to Excel for further analysis and annotation
Time Domain Reflectometer Features:
- Cable testing for twisted pair, multi-conductor, and MIL-STD-1553 cabling to check for opens, shorts, and faulty shields.
- Database driven for reference data and historical test data.